Monday 10 December 2012

Make your own Christmas Tree Hair Clip

I have a super cute craft to show you today. Ever since my friends niece was born, I have been making her little hair bows. I even went as far as making her a hair bow/clip holder. With Christmas right around the corner I decided to make her a cute little Christmas tree hair clip, my inspiration was from pinterest.

Christmas Tree Hair Clip
 Here is the finished product, soooo darn cute! 

The supplies you will need are as follows:
  • Green 3/8 inch grosgrain ribbon - I bought it at Michaels 
  • Brown 3/8 inch grossgrain ribbon - I bought it at Michaels
  • Alligator clip - I used a double pronged alligator clip, but you could use a one or two pronged one. I bought 20 clips on ebay for $4.97 with free shipping. 
  • Pearls, rhinestones, sequins, or other things you would like to decorate it with. - I used stick on pearls that I bought at Dollarama for $1.00. 
  • Something for a bow tree topper - I used a little bow charm I had left over from another project, but you can use a ribbon to create a bow.
  • Scissors
  • Glue gun and glue sticks
 
Take the brown grosgrain ribbon and hot glue it to the alligator clip. It will form the trunk of your Christmas tree so it isn't necessary to cover the whole clip. As you can see from the pictures I just glued the ribbon on the top and bottom of the top clip portion.  

 Cut two 4 cm, two 5.35 cm, and two 6 cm pieces of green grosgrain ribbon.

Then place a dot of hot glue on the edge of the ribbon and glue to edges together forming a loop (shown above). Do the same thing with all 6 pieces that you just cut. 

 Then glue the loop edges together to make triangles, this will form the branches of the tree.

 Now it is time to glue them onto the alligator clip starting with the biggest branches first. 

 Then glue on the second largest branches, making sure you overlap it slightly over the larger branches.

 Then glue on the smallest branches that will form the top of the tree; again make sure that you overlap it a little over the second largest branches.

 Now it is time for the tree topper. I hot glued a bow charm to the top of the tree, but you can also make a bow out of ribbon and glue it to the top of your tree. 

Lastly, it is time to decorate!! I used stick on pearls that I double secured with hot glue on the end of each branch. This is purely preference, you could decorate it with glitter, rhinestones, sequins, etc. 

Christmas Tree Hair Clip
Let everything dry and you are ready to place it in a little girls hair, or on a baby headband! It is a great accessory for any little girls Christmas outfit! 

Thank-you for reading!!

-Kristen

2 comments: